Foundr magazine was launched in 2013 by a young entrepreneur named Nathan Chan. It started as just a digital business magazine but has now grown into an amazing resource for young entrepreneurs all over the world with their magazine, podcast and training programs. Foundr’s mission is to help entrepreneurs all over the world, start and build their business’s.
The foundr podcast is what originally drew me in to Nathan’s work and I can honestly say it’s taught me so much in the world of business. With guests on the show including: Richard Branson, Gary Vaynerchuck, Tony Robbins, Lewis Howes and many more, you get first hand information on what it takes to be successful and what these people we look up to as entrepreneurs have done to get to where they are today.
Thank you to Nathan for taking the time to share the answers to these questions below, I trust you will all enjoy this one and take a lot away from it…
Danny- How did the idea of Foundr come about?
Nathan- The idea about how foundr came about was I recognized that there were no business / entrepreneurship magazines targetting aspiring, novice and early stage, young entrepreneurs and startup founders.
Danny- How old were you when you started Foundr magazine?
Nathan- I was 26 when I started Foundr.
Danny- Have you had any mentors along the way?
Nathan- I’ve had many mentors along the way, and they have been extremely important towards my development as an entrepreneur. I think of it like this. “It’s good to learn from your mistakes, but it’s better to learn from other people’s mistakes” – Warren Buffett.
Danny- What are 3 pieces of advice you would give a young entrepreneur?
1. Launch your god damn idea. Don’t overthink it. Just launch. You will work out if it’s going to be a winner or not sooner or later. You have nothing to lose. One of the biggest things that hold young people back is they are scared to launch because they are scared of failing.
2. Sell something that people want to buy. Sounds simple. But what you think is an awesome idea, may be not something that people care about at all.
3. Understand that it’s all about the journey towards mastery. Learn to be patient with whatever it is you’re doing. You’re not going to get it right the first time.
Danny- Where do you see Foundr in 10 years time?
Nathan- 10 years from now I see Foundr as being a household entrepreneurial brand. We have a long way to go, but have the ingredients in place.
Danny- What do you think is the most important social media platform for growing your business at the moment?
Nathan- Instagram is by far the most important social media platform out there right now. The engagement is crazy good, and it’s where the attention is. As Gary Vee would say, always follow the attention. To find out how to grow your IG go to www.foundrmag.com/free.
Danny- What are your 5 tips on using Instagram to grow your business?
1. Post great valuable content
2. Post on a consistent basis
3. Do as much S4S (share for shares) and partnerships as possible
4. Focus on getting people to click on your link in your bio and move people off instagram onto your email list or to your sales page
5. Measure EVERYTHING, use analytics like Iconosquare
Thank you Nathan!
You can check out the Foundr podcast by visiting https://foundrmag.com/podcast-with-nathan-chan/
Facebook Foundr Magazine